How to stay single (without really trying) - Tip #9
- Avoid the Bouquet
I genuinely enjoy weddings. Especially when attended by a lot of friends. However, I will pronounce publicly that I am not a fan of the bouquet toss. I used to be terrified of it....now I'm just apathetic. Confession: I have hid in a bathroom in the past to avoid it.
The whole superstition: "whoever catches it is the next to get married" and the inevitable teasing and/or sometimes pairing up with the guy who catches the garter...freaks me out. Which is ridiculous. I know that. But, (to quote You've Got Mail) "I. can't. help myself"
So, when the bouquet toss is anounced, I do go up with the mob of single girls. (I've been yelled at enough to know I should go if only to avoid the wrath of friends). But I make no effort to catch the hurling floral arrangement.
Case in point: went to an wonderful wedding this weekend. Filled with great friends. The bouquet toss was announced. I even grabbed the hand of a close friend of mine saying "C'mon. I hate this, but we gotta go." We stand in the back to get as far away as possible. But wouldn't you know it, the bride had an arm, so it went flying to the back, litterally whizzing past my face and falling to the floor. Only inches from me. And I just stared at it.
"I'm not picking that thing up!"
Disclaimer: I don't want to make anyone who either chooses to do a bouquet toss, or the girls who ENJOY going for the bouquet, feel bad in any way. I applaud you. Brides: for doing doing what you want to do on your wedding day, and Single Girls: for enjoying, and being excited about catching that bouquet. (I don't understand you). But I applaud you. :)
The bouquet was picked up in excited fashion by another good friend of mine. (You go girl!)
So: by avoiding the boquet toss you avoid:
A. getting maried next
B. getting paired up with another single guy
C. teasing
D. a bunch of flowers
Helping to keep your "single" status. (At least until the next wedding).
PS - I'm thinking (should I ever get married) of throwing chocolate. Chocolate is something I could get excited about.
Looking forward to a valentine's day post! Please oh please make it a good one!!
ReplyDelete