Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Be Yourself...


How to Stay Single (Without Really Trying) - Tip #2

  • Be Yourself.


I'm treading a fine line here, but bear with me, and I'll see if it can make sense.

(Warning: a little more “personal” post than my usual)

I've spent most of my life single. I sometimes find myself saying “If I were different....I'd be different”. Trite. But true. (Usually I say this when I find myself wishing I could take the “easy road”)

I recently came to the realization that one of the reasons I'm single is because I am “myself”.

Here are some of the top reasons I feel “myself” has kept me single most of my life.


Being Myself #1

As I've stated before, I've remained single not from a desire to NOT date, but rather a desire to date the RIGHT men who could be marriage potential.

It would be so easy date for the sake of dating. To lead guys on so I have someone who cares about me. Who'll hold me when I'm hurting, who'll buy me things, and make me laugh.

But I don't. Because 
A. I want to guard my heart. 
B. I don't want to hurt anyone else unnecessarily. 
C. I think it's stupid.


Being Myself #2

I'm quirky.
  1. I have a strange nervous breathing habit
  2. I snort occasionally when I laugh
  3. I say “Poop” and “Stink” and random nonsensical words in place of swearing.
  4. I am “too nice”
  5. I sing. A lot.
  6. I don't burp. Instead I make random internal noises and/or strange hiccup sounds

I'm sure there are others, but admittedly I have been told in the past by some males that most of the above were “annoying”.


Being Myself #3

I'm picky.

Sometimes I wish I were less-so. But, at the same time, I've waited this long. I don't want to settle.


Being Myself #4,5,6

On top of those there's also my values and beliefs which are definitely uncommon in today's society, my current nomadic existence, and the fact that I've tried the online dating thing and now I'm sick of it. All of these factors contribute to my theory that “being myself” is keeping me single.


I believe I know other girls who may be able to relate. I'm sure location and circumstances, and their own quirks make them feel like “being themselves” isn't helping in the “dating” world.

But here's the thing. “Being myself” as a way to stay single will only (Lord willing) last so long. Eventually, (again, Lord willing), someone will come a long who likes me for exactly who I am/in spite of who I am. And I, will like him back.

And that's when “Being Yourself” becomes Tip #1 for “How to get a boyfriend without really trying”.

So obviously this is not “full-proof”. But it IS a tip for staying single until a decent, dateable guy comes a long.

Ultimately, in the end, I'd much rather be the person God created me to be than try and change just to have a boyfriend.

Hopefully you feel the same way.

Hang in there.

We'll make it.


BONUS: This article encouraged me. Perhaps it will encourage you also: 


No comments:

Post a Comment